Pages

Sunday 16 March 2014

Philip Sayce



I like my blues rock.

No really, I do. I've grown up listening to Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Healey, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Stevie Ray Vaughan at the like. I just find that pretty much everything calling itself "blues rock" since Stevie sounds like...well, a pale imitation of Stevie.

Although recently I discovered Philip Sayce. I don't know a whole lot about him, aside form the fact he is a Canadian who has done a lot of session work for the likes of Jimmy Barnes and Melissa Etheridge, as well as had a solo career of some note for a while. But I do know that he has somehow managed to breathe some new life into this form that has been so uninteresting to me lately.

What you see below is a live performance of his track "Morning Star", and to be honest, superlatives are hard to come by after watching this. You could say it's "amazing" or "blistering" but that only scrapes the surface of just how awesome this is.

See for yourself below.

Cue the jaws hitting the floor...NOW!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up reminds me of Aussie Jan Rynsaardt who was going to be the next big thing about ten years ago but typical of Aussie radio no support so only known to the select few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Mort.

      Aussie radio is notoriously fickle, as well as hopeless at getting behind local talent. Unfortunately the lack of support for AusMusic comes from the highest level. The CEO of Commercial Radio Australia doesn't believe there should be an Australian Media quota, because she thinks Aussies don't make enough music. Looking at the number of artists on the Triple J Unearthed website (which number in the tens of thousands), I beg to differ. Go figure.

      I've just done a quick bit of research and Jan is playing in a band called Chase The Sun in Sydney. He has two albums on Spotify and Soundcloud: "Chase the Sun" and "Rednecks and Gentlemen". Watch out for some tracks from these albums on the Sound and the Fury March Spotify playlist posted in early April!

      Delete