Pages

Sunday 12 May 2013

Sunday Sessions: Mother's Day



As you all know it's mother's day, a day when we salute the amazing job our mum's do for us.

There's about a million songs I could think of about the relationships between kids and their fathers, but mothers? That's a little tricky.

I wanted to include a song that would be a salute to mothers everywhere, but that was hard to find. I wouldn't even know what song my mum would choose as her favourite if I asked her, as she has quite varied taste.

Shortlisted for this post (and ultimately rejected) were:

The Waifs - "Gillian": Josh's affectionate tribute to his mother, but it's a little too personal.
Billy Thorpe - "Momma": it's not actually about a mother at all, but The Aztecs' keyboard player's wife.
Pink Floyd - "Mother": it's not exactly a complimentary picture of motherhood.
Danzig - "Mother": yeah we probably better not go there.
Guns and Roses - "Bad Obsession": ditto Danzig. Just read the lyrics to the first verse (NSFW)
Scatterbrain - "Goodbye Freedom, Hello Mom": I mean really, we're trying to be nice to our mothers, aren't we?
John Lee Hooker - "Boogie Chillun": His mum won't let him go out to see a gig.
The Beatles - "Your Mother Should Know": ok I love the Beatles, especially Paul's work. Even though "Mull Of Kintyre" makes this song look like a Mozart sonata, it's still crap.

Ultimately, I chose this one. Lenny Kravitz's "Always On The Run", whose verses are all made up of mother's wisdom and good advice. And it has a cute signoff too, almost like we're eavesdopping on a phone-call between Lenny and his mother.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. I hope you're all getting spoilt by your kids!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Lenny - great choice Dave! As a matter of fact, I'll be featuring Mr Kravitz next week as my K artist - just need to lock down which two of his many awesome songs to feature...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Kirsty. Good luck with your choices. Can't wait to see what they are.

      Delete