Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2013

The Format vs Fun.

In the last 12 months, a band who calls themselves "Fun." (complete with the full stop) have become a massive band, with hits like "Some Nights" and "We Are Young".

I had such high hopes for this band and I have to say I've been somewhat disappointed. This band was formed by the lead singer of mid 2000s pop band "The Format", Nate Reuss. The Format's first record "Interventions and Lullabyes" was a great pop album; easily one of the best of the early 21st century. I've played "The First Single" here before, and I still reckon it was one of the best pop songs written in the last 10 years or so.

Having listened to the latest record "Some Nights" it strikes me as though they are making a conscious grab for pop stardom by using the tricks of the moment - autotune, randomly misplaced expletives, and some occasionally vapid lyrics. The melodies and the song structures are interesting and the textured music is also noteworthy, but for some reason it adds up to the sum of their parts, in my view.

I liked the two aforementioned songs, but they have a high burn rate - after a few listens one is completely bored with them. The rest of the "Some Nights" LP suffers the same fate.

Considering this is their second album, there is room to grow and to improve. I think they'll have a long career ahead of them, and Nate is a gifted songwriter with a stellar voice. I look forward to hearing what else they have to give us in years to come.

Check them both out. Who do you prefer?

The Format - "Snails"


The Format - "The First Single"


Fun. - "Some Nights"


Fun. - "We Are Young"

1 comment:

  1. If you're going to compare fun. and The Format, you should probably consider fun.'s first album as it definitely shows a different and, IMO, better side of them.

    ReplyDelete