Pages

Sunday 3 March 2013

Sunday Sessions: Outline and Concrete Blonde

Thanks to my old mate Kirsty at My Home Truths I've decided to do the Sunday Sessions linkup. I mean, why not? It could be fun!

Outline - "The Cicada that ate Five Dock"

This is a hilarious, although fictional, story about a lazy Sunday in the inner west suburbs of Sydney, but the serenity is broken when, quite simply, all hell breaks loose.

This one is quite the rarity. Outline released this as a single in 1981 and then one LP called "Maybe It's A Game" shortly after. They were a kind of Frank Zappa and the Mothers-esque band with a similar warped sense of humour. Copies of Outline's original records just do not turn up for sale anywhere, and nor are there videos common on the web. Enjoy this one, have a laugh, and hope for a reissue of their back catalogue.



Concrete Blonde - "Heal it up"

I'm not old enough to be a "senior", but I had a seniors moment of sorts the other day when I thought of this song being a modest hit in 1993, and thus it's 10 years old this year. Then it dawned on me that it is actually 2013 now and therefore it's 20 years old. Where did the time go? Psychological evaluation must be waiting for me around the corner...

Anyway, Concrete Blonde were a three-piece with a sensational bass-playing lead singer named Johnette Napolitano. In this track she starts off singing in a really low register in the verses, before rising slightly in the pre-chorus and then erupts in a high pitched wail that is purely goose-bump inducing.

Be ready for your hair to stand on end, people. This is pure gold.



Enjoy, and I'll see you next time.

4 comments:

  1. That first song is gold - I think I'll have some trouble getting the "eeee" out my head this evening! And thanks for reintroducing me to Concrete Blonde. I only remember (and disliking) Joey but this track really showed what an amazing range the lead singer had. Glad to see you link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Kirsty. "Cicada..." is such a cool song, and long forgotten too. I don't mind CB's "Joey" but they have much, much better songs than that. "Heal It Up" is just the tip of the iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard that Concrete Blonde song, it's pretty awesome!

    Hope to see you for sunday sessions next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by, Cate. I'm so there for Sunday sessions next week. I've started writing it already!

    ReplyDelete